Sunday, June 5, 2016

Southern Belles

Reading a back issue of the magazine "Reminisce" in bed late last night, I came across someone's grandmother's recipie for a type of sheet cookie called Southern Belles.


It was around midnight when I decided, "I'm going to make these tomorrow."



Now I'm not going to lay out the recipe for you here, because it's not my recipe, it is a prized family recipe that had been passed down through the this person's family, and I don't want to take any credit for it.

But, what I will tell you is that I found the idea of making these cookies to be one of the coolest things I could spend my Sunday morning doing.  There is enough sugar in here to give me a headache ( which they did ), and there is no baking time mentioned in the recipe, so I had to spend 25 minutes pacing my kitchen floor watching them bake like a hawk, but boy was it fun.





Southern Belles remind me of a type of shortbread with a brown sugar coconut meringue spread over the top.  I followed the recipe to a tee, and this is the result I got.



They were delicious, I can tell you that.  And yes, I did say were, because believe it or not, they are half gone already I don't honestly think they are going to make it through the night.   My family and I are piranhas, you see, so nothing really last all that long around here.

I can think of a few ways to switch things up a bit to tailor these wondrous treats exactly to my family's liking.  In fact, I believe I might be inspired to make a Southern Belle recipe for our family, to be passed down through the years and the generations.

One thing I know I might have to change is how the meringue is made.  In the recipe it said to throw everything in with the egg white and beat till fluffy.  I wasn't so sure, but I wanted to do it exactly how the recipe said, so that's what I did.  I could hear Julia from America's Test Kitchen yelling at me from a distance.  Now I think that next time I'll make the meringue like you would normally make meringue, and then fold in the coconut after I've gotten it to a stiff peak, so that it'll be a bit more meringue-ish.  I think that'll make Julia feel better ( if you've ever watched the TV show, then you'll know how much she loves to get her meringues just right ).

Overall though, I was very impressed with myself, and I felt quite fancy, for some reason.  These seemed to me like a special tea time treat from the days of old.  So I made some tea, and sat down to a tea party for one.  Perhaps the next time I have friends over I'll make these again, and we can all tea party together.



Em

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You should be hiding them from me, too.

      Delete
  2. THIS LOOKS DELICIOUS. And I love how you described your family as piranhas. XD MINE TOO. That is exactly what happens when there is food in the house, omg, here one moment, devoured the next. XD

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete